Sunday, April 5, 2009

Caged Animal

When I was five years old I somehow got talked into taking ballet and tap with my twin sister. I'm not sure who's idea this was, but it proved to be a total disaster from the very beginning. First, I wasn't exactly the "quiet" little girl who found the classical music and french words enchanting or even interesting. I, instead, was more focused on making faces into the mirror and pulling my leotard down so my underwear didn't cause another uncomfortable wedgie. Secondly, I wasn't exactly the most coordinated kid. Yes, I can throw a ball and run in a straight line, but when someone says jump gracefully across the floor I look more like a lost ape. Thirdly, when it came to tap I was a wild woman. I mean who thought giving an over-active kid shoes that make cool sounds was a good idea? Well, I can tell you it's not. I can still remember sliding my feet into those patent leather shoes and running all over the class like a little firecracker.

Anyway, after two weeks I decided it was time for me to move on. Fortunately, my early retirement was approved by my mom and by my grateful teacher. A few weeks later, I was enrolled into soccer and the rest is history.

I guess this experience sticks out for a few reasons. 1. For the first time I made my own decision about my life. 2. I will never forget the relief in my teacher's face when my mom told her I would be playing soccer instead. 3. It's the only thing I ever quit. Well, golf might becoming my second thing. 4. It's where my sister and I diverged. 5. It's where I developed my kinship with caged animals at zoos.

No comments: