Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Ten Seconds

A few weeks ago the husband and I went to go see the new James Bond movie.  I got to admit I wasn't wowed by the movie, but I was shocked to find out that our matinee was actually a secret meeting for men with prostate troubles.  Honestly, I think the husband was the only one who didn't get up to use the bathroom - numerous times - throughout the movie.  So, to all of you who were at the 1:30 Saturday showing of Skyfall, in Salt Lake City, my heart goes out to you and my prayers that you will one day be able to control your urination. 

Anyway, before the movie started I dropped the husband off to get tickets and then I attempted to find a parking space.  As I was driving around, I spotted a nice couple enter their Subaru wagon and begin to leave.  So, like all normal drivers, I put on my turning signal and began to wait for them to pull out.  However, they didn't immediately turn the car on.  So, I tapped my horn and gave them the universal, "Are you leaving?" gesture, to which, they responded by nodding their heads, but nothing happened.  So, I continued to wait.  Finally, the very normal looking guy, who had a car seat in the back of the car and a Greenpeace sticker on the bumper, pulled up a breathalyser tube and proceeded to blow into it.  And then, which was my favorite part, looked at me and mouthed, "Ten seconds" while pointing to the tube.  Ten seconds?  That's all you got?  No head down and ashamed look of, "Um, I'm a drunk." No, just, hey pretty lady (that's me) I just enjoy the juice so much I decided to install this tubey thing in my car so I can be positive I drank just enough to not completely impair my driving.  So, hold on a little second and I'll be out in a jiffy.  

I wanted to stick around and see if he passed, but I was late for my movie.  So, DUI Subaru Man if you are out there, keep fighting the fight and hold your head high...sure, some of us just insert keys to turn cars on, but not you...not you...you my friend are special.

I'm thinking of getting one of those tubes myself...I think suburbia would love it.  Imagine all the moms at Target...it's gonna be awesome. 

2 comments:

Andrea J said...

Utah is really strict about DUIs, I'm sure they have some crazy rules.

SkippyMom said...

Why do I think that the courts required him to put that on his car? Seems like Mr. DUI might have broken that law enough that they required it of him.

Here it is a law that one is installed depending on the severity of your first offense or if you have a second.

And people wonder why society is the way it is. People have lost all sense of shame and personal responsibility. Instead of taking responsibility for his poor choices and knowing he should not drink and drive - he happily blows in a tube while WAVING to a perfect stranger to let her know 10 more seconds? Really? Perhaps it's because I don't drink, but the idea that a court of law would punish me with something so public would be enough to shame me to keep my car in the garage for ....well, ever. Sheesh

How was the movie, btw? We are looking for a good movie for "Date night" and since it is Pooldad's pick this may be a possibility. Thanks.