Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Gender Conspiracy

After 30 minutes of searching on the internet for clothes for my child I have determined, that makers of baby clothes and moms around the nation, need to come together and come up with some kind of compromise.  I get it, for generations of time we have all believed that girls must be dressed in pink and boys be dressed in blue, but who then decided that girl outfits must also include ridiculous amounts of ruffles, lace, embroidered hearts and any other kind of bedazzling that screams, "No, seriously, my bald child is a girl.  A girl, I say!"  Why can't girl clothes come in blue?  Would this cause a great darkness to come over Asia and parts of Australia?  What if a girl's outfit had a car on it?  Would that mean sudden deaths would occur to people in Rhode Island, while they drive to work?  Honestly.  What is the big deal?  Do people really think babies look down at their outfits to determine their gender identity?  If so, the Dallas Cowboy football jersey, cut off jeans and Converse shoes I wore every single day, really should have caused me massive confusion, but it didn't.  And sure, there was a time when a sales clerk told my older brother he had a really cute younger brother, and I had to inform the dumb lady that I was a girl, but hey, it all got straightened out...oh wait...

Alright, alright, let's just lay off the pink.  I swear my girl will wear dresses occasionally, choose the correct bathroom at school and marry a man - can I now buy some blue clothes?

3 comments:

Ian said...

Well, to be fair, there's no guarantee she'll grow up to want to marry a man... but otherwise, so so agreed. Little girls are perfectly capable of looking adorable in blue, and not every little boy's shirt needs to be decorated with something that has an alternator.

happyfamily said...

I used to dress my girls in "boy clothes". And I try to get clothes without "stuff" on it- cars, dinos, big flowers, whatever. I don't think that you have to go with the "norm", although knowing how abnormal I am, that shouldn't surprise you.

Rachel said...

I basically want to smash the whole children's clothing industry. Girls and boys clothes, super pukey tacky. But I do love Zara for babies and girls, and the onesies at American Apparel. Thank goodness for 100% cotton, normal colors, minus the outrageous prints & patterns. I got a onesie and a t-shirt for my sister in law and she's on her third baby, and they are the SAME color with no pills, holes or tears. Dream town. All those danged ruffles and itchy lace? Babies are pure, and need comfort and sleep, they aren't little Miss Sunshine showcases to exploit. Geesh. But yeah, I like to mix up the color expectations as well, I've had about enough of the pepto pink in every store. Get it out of here! (Thankfully Sabine's favorite colors are white and rainbow). *phew*