Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Interview

As I've mentioned before I'm slightly nervous about entering the world of crazy moms.  I got to be honest, I'm just not looking forward to the looks of disapproval because I'm not using sign language to communicate with my child, or the fact that they aren't potty trained by six months.  Honestly, whatever happened to the days when moms let kids run around the pool with no suntan lotion on and fries were a totally acceptable lunch??  Oh, the 80s...

So, the other day I found myself in a room with two other expecting mothers waiting to interview a potential pediatrician.  As we sipped on cool water, and secretly assessed each others' weight gain, one mother turned to me and asked, "So, how many pediatricians have you interviewed so far?"  Immediately I thought, how many pediatricians?  Was I supposed to interview more than one?  Is there a final written test I'm supposed to give them and the one with the highest score gets to take care of my kid's runny nose?  Why doesn't anyone tell me these things?


So, after looking at her with a blank stare, I said, "Nope, this is the only one."  And that, my friends, was not the correct answer.  The expecting mother then told me how she had interviewed five pediatricians already and all had completely different methods.  Different methods?  What are they doing - making wine?


Unfortunately, our conversation was cut short when the pediatrician entered the room.  After a few introductions, the doctor asked us if we had any questions.  And this is when crazy happened.  Both mothers, to my left and right, proceeded to pull out sheets (yes, that was plural) of questions.  I just sat there completely dumbfounded as they asked everything from vaccine schedules, to waiting room procedures, to after hour calls, to billing and to his thoughts on curing autism.  Finally, the doctor turned to me and asked, "Kate, do you have any questions?"  For a moment I looked down at my keys and cell phone, and then said, "Nope, I think I'm good."  Silence in the room.  He then, along with the women, asked again, "Really? You have no questions?"  Then in a moment of panic and slight guilt I said, "You said you went to medical school?  Right?  (Doctor nods) Great.  And you aren't going to touch my child inappropriately? (Doctor nods)  Great.  No, I think I'm good." 


Oh if you were wondering...he hasn't thought of a cure for autism.  I guess those ladies will be finding another pediatrician. 

5 comments:

Ru said...

I have a few friends who interviewed pediatricians and ob/gyns. I do not get that at all. I find a doctor in my plan, if he/she is not creepy, we're good to go.

JoAnn said...

There will never be another Howard. Sigh!

L,J

Kendra said...

haha, so funny! I never even thought to interview a pediatrician. We just show up for shots, that's all I need 'em for.

Anonymous said...

Asking him about curing autism....

Wow.

Why not AIDS or how to achieve world peace?

If they were asking about TREATing autism, that's one thing. He's a practicing pediatrician, and I assume, not a medical researcher/experimenter.

Why does everyone have to be so hard-core these days? Why does everyone pretend like they're so damn important? Like if we're looking to hire a doctor for what amounts to maybe ~45-60 minutes a year of his time, we need to be Tim friggin' Russert incarnate. We need to get this society out of this all-or-nothing mindset.

Chalice Lindgren said...

Every mother has different styles in looking for the right pediatrician for their kids. The mothers you’ve been with are the types who have a lot of standards. Since it was your first interview, your reaction was just normal. Did you go to other doctors after that? Just some advice, just pick someone you trust and you won’t go wrong. =)

Chalice Lindgren