Wednesday, September 22, 2010

False Advertising

* I couldn't get the actual advertisement but these are the pictures they used.

The other day I was driving down Santa Monica Blvd. and along the street were these ridiculous signs for the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra. I'm not sure who is in charge of their PR department, but I think they might want to re-think their whole marketing strategy. First, these signs don't make me want to attend their concerts. If anything, they make me want to donate money to cure whatever is ailing this individual. Honestly, he looks like he is suffering from either cerebral palsy, or from hemifacial spasms. Second of all, these "advertisements" sort of scare me. If I was shown this picture, without LA Philharmonic Orchestra all over it, I would think this guy was performing a exorcism or needed one himself. Honestly, this picture screams, "Come to my little concert so I can eat your little children."

Lastly, I think my biggest problem with these "advertisements" is the fact that orchestras are not cool. Going to the symphony is not cool. So, don't try to make some edgy poster to convince me otherwise. I've been to the symphony, and some eccentric and overly excited conductor is not going to change the fact that every song is going to sound the same in my head, and each second I spend trying to like the experience is only going to send me into a fit of rage.

Dear PR Department of the LA Philharmonic Orchestra,

Next year please be more honest in your advertisements. I really feel like a picture of an old man sleeping, empty seats or zoned out faces would really be more accurate.

Thanks,
Kate

No comments: