Tuesday, May 3, 2011

NASCAR and CBS

According to Wikipedia: NASCAR holds 17 of the top 20 attended single-day sporting events in the world, and claims 75 million fans who purchase over $3 billion in annual licensed product sales. So, who, I ask you, are all these people flocking to these events? And if there are so many people who are fans of NASCAR, and who buy items attached to NASCAR, why is there such a stigma attached to the sport of cars going round and round? I mean seriously, how come admitting you like NASCAR is like tweeting about Osama Bin Laden and saying, "@dkeller23 We’ll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style." (To read about this actual dummy check out this article) You just don't do it.

In addition to the mystery of NASCAR, I would like someone to explain to me, or tell me, who are all the people who watch CBS? I couldn't name you one show I've watched in entirety that airs on CBS, and yet, almost every single show in the top ten of viewership is from this network.

So, here's the only conclusion I can come to: The same mysterious people who show up and watch NASCAR, must be the same idiots who think Two and Half Men is one of the funniest shows on TV, and (insert city) CSI is just plain brilliant.

Who are you people and who is leading you?

4 comments:

SkippyMom said...

You are so funny - and right! I can't remember the last thing I watched on CBS primetime. I did watch Price Is Right with my kids but Bob retired and well....

Nascar is an interesting beast. I can tell you of all the sporting events I have attended [been forced to attend] including football, baseball, hockey, Nascar fans are some of the nicest, most polite, friendliest fans I have ever run into.

No, I am not kidding. They are a heck of a lot of fun. And NICE.

[And contrary to popular belief they aren't rednecky or toothless]

Ru said...

The one thing I will never understand is why people find Two and a Half Men funny. I get that people have different taste, I just don't know how "dumb" can be a taste.

ashley said...

We've had the same conversation about Two and a Half Men. Who are these people?

David has done Nielson ratings now twice and feels that it is his personal responsibility to get rid of shows like that. We want more Parks and Reck, 30 Rock, Modern Family and the Office.

Me said...

Nascar Fans: Republicans, Southerners, and Brock

CBS: Is that channel 2 or 7? I can never remember....but I do know that Nascar is on 11....